Thursday, February 18, 2010

Paying Peggy

My wife and I are enjoying the Winter Olympics. They bring to mind my experience over twenty years ago when I was responsible for a fund raising ice show for Elwyn, Inc. We had arranged for several top ranked ice skating amateurs to skate, including Scott Hamilton, the Crothers, and others. But the real draw was Peggy Fleming, whom we paid to skate for three performances. It was my responsibility to chauffer Peggy to each performance and ensure that she was treated well. Peggy was a huge hit amd she filled the arena each time. I found her to be a gracious and personable lady but I tested her patience with me.

In addition to ticket sales we had develed a program book which we sold at the event for two dollars. I collected the money, stuffing my pockets with singles and depositing them after the performance at a night drop at a local bank. The last performance was a Saturday evening. I was to provide Peggy and her husband, a dermatologist who served as her business manager, with a check. After the matinee I had no time to make the money drop-off. My friend Al invited me back to his house for a quick supper, offering to let me leave the cash with him and to drive me back for the last show. Al indicated that when he leaves money in the house he wraps it in wax paper, marks it FISH and places it in the freezer. So we did just that.

After Peggy's last performance Al suggested we pay Peggy and say good-bye.
I reached into my pocket and found no check.

"Where is it?" he demanded.
"I think it must be wrapped up in your freezer, marked FISH."
"You tell that to Peggy, I'm not going to." Apologetically, I explained the situation to Peggy.
"Just send me the check," she replied. No one could make up a story like that."

The following year Peggy could not make the event. The stands were empty.

No comments: